Affects Version/s: None
Fix Version/s: None
As discussed with some of you, I have started drafting a PoC for the "future-compatible-syntax" feature.
The essence of this feature is to allow older versions of CFEngine to parse newer promises, without bailing out at these new constraint strings.
The feature can be found in this commit:
and please allow me to make some remarks:
- I have written that code against the 3.6 codebase. Although it is technically a /feature/ , that patch shall be applied to earlier versions, backported even back to 3.4, not only the 3.6/3.7. Otherwise, it would defy its main purpose.
- feel free to propose any other name for the "future_syntax" control attribute. Also help me place these functions at the correct C file.
- note that future-syntax could apply to control types, body types, promises etc. The format of those strings is free, so that we can extend it to more cases.
- I have arbitrarily chosen the dot "." as a delimiter. I believe it's better than colon (used in namespaces) and slash (used more at filenames)
- the sooner we decide on this feature, the more we can help people plan their transition from 3.4/3.5 installations to the much-anticipated 3.6