For the MP UI, we want a OS inventory attribute which is as short and readable / familiar as possible, regardless of what the OS vendor prefers as their OS / pretty name.
We made that change here:
However, the policy becomes messy. If we had these 2 variables it would be a lot easier:
- RHEL for Red Hat Enterprise Linux
- CentOS for CentOS Linux
- SUSE for SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
- Ubuntu for Ubuntu Linux
- Debian for Debian GNU/Linux
- Windows for both Windows Home, Professional, Server, etc.
- macOS for apple's operating system
- HP-UX for Hewlett Packard Unix
- 18 for Ubuntu 18.04
- 7 for CentOS Linux 7.6
- 2016 for WIndows Server 2016
This ticket is limited to only the 2 variables we need because: limit scope, hard to know where to stop, and hard to know exactly how to put OS versions into major-minor-patch-build etc. (Where does SP2 go?).
sys.os_version_minor and sys.os_version_patch etc. could be implemented in the future, once we make a decision on exactly what those should be.