The purpose of this Epic is to simplify getting started with Mender, especially for testing/demo purposes, but also to move toward unifying demo and production installations by making the demo environment more configurable and secure.
It is based on the fairly standard approach of having an "install script" that will install and prepare Mender for your environment (Maciej Mrowiec already made a simple version of this in the past). E.g.
This script will be interactive and ask the user about relevant configuration options needed for the installation (e.g. hostname/IP addresses, virtual devices to start, etc.).
- Dependencies are verified before starting and a notification about any missing dependencies or too old versions is displayed (most notably Docker Engine 1.11 and Docker Compose 1.6)
- The installation is backed by git, like our Production installation
- Initial user email and password is prompted and created
- URL and port to backend gateway API and storage proxy can be set (default like today)
- All keys are generated, based on input API and Storage Proxy CN (default like today, but keys are always generated)
- It is noted where server.crt file is placed - (this is to be installed on Mender clients)
- User is asked if he want to have virtual devices, and if so the relevant Artifacts are downloaded and modified (right URLs/keys), and the QEMU instance uses correct URLs and keys
- User is asked if he wants BBB device, and if so the demo sdimg and Artifact is downloaded and modified
- Designed in such a way that it can be used for production installs and upgrading the server in a future iteration