Affects Version/s: None
Fix Version/s: None
Epic Name:Epic template
Epic Total Estimate:0
By using update modules (
MEN-2000), the device may be left in an inconsistent state if there are any failures during the installation.
We need to flag these devices with failure somehow so that users are aware (both on device, e.g. standalone, and UI/API side).
Users should be allowed to deploy further updates, but they should know about the failure before the next deployment.
- Reduce risk of bricking devices by making further deployments on inconsistent devices
- Reduce support cost by avoiding scenarios where future deployments succeeds on some devices but fails on others for reasons hard to diagnose (in distant past)
- Device must report that it is in inconsistent state if an artifact with no rollback has failed, or if an artifact with rollback has failed, and then also failed its rollback
- Devices in the inconsistent state must be able to reinstall the same update again (avoiding the usual "already installed" deployment state)
- So probably the inconsistent state can not be an inventory attribute, since it must be used in deployment decisions
- State must be visible in the GUI
- It must be possible to query the state on the device (CLI option or plain file)