Status: To Do
Affects Version/s: None
Fix Version/s: None
Epic Name:mender-convert: Inside contain
Epic Total Estimate:13
mender-convert has a lot of dependencies that has different package names and versions across Linux distributions. Providing a standard way to run mender-convert inside a container would greatly simply installation.
Note that container support is already working for Raspbian-based images (manually tested end result), but not for Debian based images (mount error).
User value (why)
- Faster and easier to get started using mender-convert (installation/setup time)
- No need to "clutter" OS with packages that are only used for running mender-convert
- Support running mender-convert on Mac and other OSes than Linux
- Current docker-mender-convert approach works for all supported image types
- Appropriate tests for using mender-convert in a container created
- Official documentation changed to run inside as container by default
- (stretch goal) mender-convert image uploaded to Docker Hub and released as part of mender-convert releases (new version of mender-convert and Mender client inside)