Please see attachment for the current UI of Connection status and launching a terminal. This looks fine if bidirectional communication is enabled, however it will take time until customers and users enable it on the devices.
If it is not enabled it will say "Disconnected", but this will very likely be confused with the device being offline and not being able to get software updates. It also conflicts a bit with the "Last check in time" column, which may make it seem like the device is online, while it still says Disconnected.
Since Remote terminal is the only feature that leverages bidirectional communication it is likely best to leave out Connection status for now. Once this will replace polling we can integrate it into "Last check in time" in the UI somehow, but for now this doesn't seem to make sense.
Acceptance criteria, for the UI:
- "Connection status" is removed
- "Launch terminal" is always present but it is greyed out if the underlying connection status is not "Connected"
- There is a tooltip / help text next to Remote terminal for these Connection statuses:
- If unkown: "The Remote terminal add-on does not seem to be enabled on this device, please see [LINK-TO-DOCS] for a description on how it works and how to enable it."
- If disconnected : "The Remote terminal add-on is not currently connected on this device, it was last connected on DATE-OF-LAST-CONNECTION. Please see [LINK-TO-DOCS] for more information."